Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Unity Among Churches

During the weekend, I went to Elizabeth church for Spiritual Cultivation. It was my first time back since over a year or so. While I was back there, one of the r.e. students came up to me and asked me what I was doing there and labeled me as Hillsborian. Haha. Thought about that for a bit, then disregarded and went on throughout the rest of the day.

Later on today, I was talking online with that same r.e. student and she called me that again. To which I responded by saying there should be no distinction between churches. We're all one body -- tjc-er. Then jokingly, the student, responded saying that (their current church)-ian, is different and cooler.

Different and cooler, huh? 1 Cor. 1:12-13 came to mind.

Now I say this, that each of you says, “I am of Paul,” or “I am of Apollos,” or “I am of Cephas,” or “I am of Christ.” Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

If this is the way the kids are thinking these days, then I think we have failed as r.e. teachers. As their brothers and sisters in Christ. As examples for the younger generation. Often, in the classroom, we would emphasize on love, unity, patience, obedience, etc among men, but more emphasizes on God. But if even in this minute situation, they're making distinction among their own brothers and sisters in Christ because of worship location. Then I fear they already have the wrong mentality.

I remember when the church first branched out, there were disharmony among the councils of both church over something as insignificant as A/V and now, if the younger generation are also having this mentality (hopefully not), then we have not improved and our relationship, as the entire body, have not strive to become closer to God.

It just seems like a lot of people are forgetting we are one body. Our Father died for ALL of us. Location should not matter, but that doesn't seem the case.



It is I, Lord. I'm the one that sent you to the cross

No comments:

Post a Comment